Monday, October 12, 2009

More Masquerade Madness!

Fun news! I got 2 free tickets to a masquerade ball benefit for a nonprofit arts organization that works with young people called The Museum of Cultural Arts Houston (MOCAH). It's really an awesome group. They do amazing work with kids in the community. I worked with them on a project a couple years ago and have really grown to appreciate what they do for Houston.

Back to the ball...We haven't dressed up for a costume party in years! So, I'm pretty excited about this one. I decided to do a Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) theme which is a holiday in Mexico celebrated on the 1st and 2nd of November, coinciding with All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. I thought it would be a fun way to honor my culture and create a couple really cool costumes. So, that means it's mask time again! Sooooo fun!

This is what Dia de los Muertos folk art looks like. It's generally very colorful with flowers and skulls and sometimes butterflies and birds. I think they are rather beautiful:






1 comment:

  1. wauuu que cosas tan hermosas de mi paĆ­s.. en verdad que hay cosas ahora en Dia de muertos mucho mas maravillosas espero subir fotos a mi blog para que te des una idea.. saludos tu blog esta hermoso.. ciaoo!

    ReplyDelete