Friday, November 27, 2009

Pie Carumba!

So, here's how it all went down...

Wednesday, I decided to make a few pies. Just a couple. No big whoop. The pie fillings are awesome. I've used them plenty of times before. But, I don't have a go-to recipe for pie crust. That's where it all went south. I blame the Pie Gremlin. He hangs out with that other punk, the Great Pumpkin.

I wanted to make my pumpkin pie all fancy-like, so I rolled out some dough and used the little leaf cutters that I bought with Christy at Sur La Table.  Because I was going to add them just before the pies were done baking, I decided to place the little leaves in the fridge. I didn't have any cellophane, so I pulled out some heavy duty foil.  While laying a piece of it out on the counter, I got a giant aluminum paper cut. Fantastic.





The first pie crust burned like an old lady in Del Boca Vista Phase II.  I hardly ever use a timer, but this time I decided to use it and I successfully made a delicious flat bread appetizer for squirrels. Beauty, isn't it?  In case you wanna keep score:  Gremlin-1, Me-0.






At this point, I'm running out of time (I still have to make corn casserole), so I use Pillsbury roll-out pie crust. Darn it if the thing didn't slide down my glass pie plate!!! That junk was an oily mess! I think my dish was too deep for it.  I felt bad about throwing out another crust, so I baked it until beautifully golden brown and am thinking I'll make a pot pie or something.  Looks like I'm 0 for 2.

I'd finally had it and sent the hubster out to buy some fake pie crust shells. I ended up needing double the amount because those things are very puny and shallow. Anyhoo, it was about 1 in the morning and I was so tired of dealing with it, that I just tossed the shells into the oven.  I forgot about pricking the bottom with a fork!  Giant bubbles follow.  Perfect.  I was too annoyed to take a picture.  Trust me, it wasn't pretty.  Gremlin-3, Me-0.





So, I opened another package of fake pie shells and made sure to bake them properly.  The crusts were a bit crumbly, but I hid the broken edges with little leaf crust cookies. Meanwhile, all the way across town, the blasted Pie Gremlin payed Christy a visit. Her story...

1 comment: